It’s HOT and the last thing I want is to have my oven going for 45 minutes to an hour baking a stuffed pepper. This recipe makes life much easier. The peppers get seared in hot olive oil, giving them a roasted flavor in less then 8 minutes. Though a word of caution- there’s lots of spattering oil, so keep a healthy distance. The stuffing is a basic meat-potato-tomato one that cooks up very quickly. Your choice if you want to use ground beef or a package of spicy seasoned ground tofu for a vegetarian option. This recipe is inspired by an empanadas recipes from The Passionate Vegetarian. The pepper preparation method is also from this book.
Printable: No Bake Stuffed Bell Peppers
1. Start with prep. Boil 1 large or 2 small potatoes in water until done. If you are using ground beef now is the time to cook it and set it aside until needed.
2. While the potatoes cook, prepare the bell peppers by searing them in hot oil. Click here for the step by step tutorial.
3. Saute 1 diced onion and 2 diced jalapeno (seeds and membranes removed for less heat) in the left over pepper-oil.
4. Mix in 2 teaspoons of ground cumin and 3-5 cloves of minced garlic, depending on preferences or the number of vampires in your neighborhood.
5. Add in the cooked ground beef or 10-ounce package of spiced ground tofu.
6. By this point, your potato should be finished cooking. Chop into approximately 1-inch pieces. Some of the skin may fall off.
7. Spoon in 1/2 can of tomato paste and enough water to help you disintegrate the paste with a wooden spoon.